Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Add a few cloves...

Cloves? Who uses cloves when they cook?
Not me.

Just so you know, cloves and curry are NOT the same thing. Why then did I bring a jar of cloves (which is probably years old) with me to DC? Hmmm.... not planning on making any spiced cider or decorating any festive fall oranges this June. But I guess the jar of cloves and the jar of curry look alot alike....and no, I do not alphabetize my spices. I am not THAT together.

I brought 4 spices with me. Basil and oregano...because they just make about anything taste better. Chili powder for a few fav mexican recipes and curry for my favorite go to chicken dish... no make that cloves. Thankfully, I discovered the "curry mishap" as I was usuing my oregano and basil for our pasta tonight. But sometime in the next week I am making Chicken Tilley and it calls for a good amount of curry. Oh well...off to the grocery to get some curry soon.

But just in case you would like to make Chicken Tillie...with the curry that you have sitting in your spice rack, here is the recipe.

Chicken Tillie
3 or more chicken breasts cut up in pieces
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup of mayonaise
1-2tbs of curry (sorry, I kind of eyeball this)
1 bag of frozen baby brocolli florets
1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tbs butter melted

Place cut up chicken in greased 9x 13 baking dish
top with broccoli
Mix soup, mayo and curry together and spread over
cover with cheese
mix bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle on top of dish
Bake at 400deg for 35-45 minutes.
**watch top...if cheese looks liek it is burning cover with foil.
Serve with rice. FYI-- this tastes awesome next day too!

**If this sounds suspiciously similar to Chicken Devane...it is. Years ago a friend made this for us from her mother in law's recipe, and for some reason at the time I just didn't know how to say "devane". Or maybe I just didn't like the word (I think it makes me thinkg of de-veigning a shrimp). So it became Chicken Tillie. Some of you may just know who I am talking about. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Okay, Carrie, Can I swap something else instead of Mayo.....I don't do mayo? If you made it I'd totally be cool with it. I just can't know its in there. And since I'd make it I'd know its in there! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could probably use yogurt or sour cream. or just more of the cream of chicken soup

    ReplyDelete
  3. By chance are you talking about my mom, Tillie Lehmer? If you are that is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ding, ding, ding! Yep Kate! TOTALLY your mom... I need to change the spelling! I make this ALL the time! It's one of David's favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Please share... I love to hear from readers!